Thursday, September 27, 2012

Week #4 Office

I will admit I did have to spend some money to complete this room. I did try to keep it as low as possible though. My husband has been giving my crap about this room pretty much since we moved in. He obviously had the right to as you can see from the pictures and this isn't even at its worst point.
This room has caused me so much frustration because I could not figure out how to use the space wisely for all of the things that go on in here.

First of all this is not just an office, but also my craft space, computer room for both my son and I, game room for my son, sometimes a play room for the little one, and I also teach my son preschool here. I obviously need this room to be very multifunctional. The furniture has been moved many, many times and I never end up satisfied and more frustrated than when I began.

 Before...

and this is actually an improvement from what it used to be like in here
This is what you used to see when you first walked into the room.
and... the closet... YIKES!
I didn't clear out the room, but I did fill up the truck again with recyclables and donations.

I was sitting in here one night just looking around trying to figure out where to put the furniture when I realized how much space was being wasted by having the tv up on the table. How silly! The table is exactly what we need to be able to work on! As soon as I realized this the rest just fell into place. 

I wanted the table to be white, but I didn't feel like painting it so I covered it with white contact paper and then some clear plastic fabric with a design on it that I found at Walmart. I figured that this would be very easy to clean paint, markers, or glue off of from crafts with lil man.

My sewing machine has a home now where it can actually be used and I won't have to drag it out to the dining table to use it.The green tote is for coupons and sale flyers and the clear one has all of our papers organized in hanging folders. Then the black shelves have lil man's school books, kid crafting items, and my laminator. Finally the white one has my fabrics and sewing items.

Desk is cleared as well as the night stand beside it. This is where I keep paper for the printer, photo paper and extra ink.

Lil man has a gaming and tv corner. I cleared out the dresser which used to have a whole drawer stuffed with photos, another filled with cooking magazines, and another with random cords and electronics. All of that stuff I have a separate crate for in the closet now. The bottom two drawers now have lil man's games, movies, and accessories. 



Yes, the closet is still kind of scary. I use it as kind of a holding place. I promise I did empty the entire thing and attempt to divide things into the totes and this was the result. There are two totes that are filled with my old text books that I have for sale on amazon, that huge dog will be going back into the kids room once we get the bunk beds built, cushions will go on dining table chairs once I get them painted... my to do list goes on and on :)

So there is still a lot of work, but I do think it was a huge improvement again this week. At least the room is useable now so I can knock out more of my to do's :)

1 comment:

  1. You have done so well with this challenge. Great idea to use the table for sewing and recovering it too. Considering the many functions of this room it looks great. Well done.

    ReplyDelete